Yes, but we only accept credit card. Please note the price increase for registration during package pick-up and race day; see the registration page for pricing.
Yes, the race is chip-timed. The results will be available within 30 minutes of completion of the race and will be posted online shortly afterwards on Startline Timing’s website: www.startlinetiming.com. Furthermore, all results will be posted on the Icebreaker’s website with 48 hours of the completion of the race.
All the proceeds raised from the Icebreaker go to Kajaks Track & Field Club, a not-for-profit community sports organization. All proceeds from the New Balance 1K Kidsrun goes directly to Kidsport Richmond, which helps kids who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford it, to be able to participate in sports. Thank you for your support!
Yes, this is done through the online registration and there is a $15 service fee. Please note we do not accept race transfer at package pick up or on race day.
Yes, please give them your e-mail address you registered with or a piece of your identification.
Contact the race director or the Running Room helpdesk and someone can review your registration for confirmation of your registration. Someone will re-send an email confirmation to you. You should also ensure that you add Running Room to your safe list.
If you have selected not to be on the confirmation list during the registration process, you will not appear on the confirmation list. Please contact our help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and they can review your race registration and ‘un-hide’ your name.
Unfortunately, for safety reasons strollers are not permitted on the Icebreaker 8K course. Sorry for the inconvenience. However, for the New Balance 1K Kidsrun, strollers are allowed.
No, unless you are visually impaired and it is your legal guide/service dog.
The course is salted and then a thorough walk-through is done each year to make sure it is safe for all the participants. If there is large snowfall that jeopardizes the safety of the course, a notification will be posted on the Icebreaker’s website 24 hours before the race’s start time and an e-mail will be sent to participants that checked the box to receive e-mails. Please note Kajaks Track & Field Club does not take responsibility for a force majeure. In the event of cancellation, participants will be provided with either a partial refund or a credit to next year’s race.
The Steveston Icebreaker 8K follows guidelines provided by the Council for Responsible Sport. Goals for an environmentally responsible event are:
- All discarded clothing from Start Area is collected and donated to shelter programs
- Surplus food remaining after the event is donated to local food banks
- Proximity to transit reduces single occupancy vehicle trips
- Water conservation methods are used on course and at Finish Area
- Marketing materials are printed using biodegradable inks on FSC certified paper
- Over 50% of provided food is locally produced, all is purchased locally
- Recycling and composting facilities will be at the Finish Area, with the goal of diverting 90+% of all waste
Help us Run Green by following these tips:
- If you can, leave your car at home – the start line is close to transit. If driving, consider carpooling with some friends.
- Only take what you need — a lot of uneaten food is thrown away at events.
- This applies to the water stations too — only take a cup if you need a drink.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and refill at marked stations.
- Recycle, recycle, and recycle! Clearly labelled recycling stations will be located on the route and in the finish area. They will be supervised by friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Take all your waste and recycling to these stations — don’t litter on the course!
- Don’t forget to recycle all items that you take home from the event. All materials are compostable or recyclable! If you’re unsure simply ask our volunteers before you leave!
Policies & Etiquette
As a BC Athletics sanctioned event, this race will abide by the BC Athletics Codes of Conduct. Please click below to review these policies.
- BC Athletics Spectator Code of Conduct
- BC Athletcs Codes of Conduct (Athletes, Coaches, Officials, Volunteers etc.)
For any questions, please contact the Race Director, Jared Hume at email@example.com.