The Steveston Icebreaker 8K follows guidelines provided by the Council for Responsible Sport. Goals for an environmentally responsible event are:
- All discarded clothing from Start Area is collected and donated to shelter programs
- Surplus food remaining after the event is donated to local food banks
- Proximity to transit reduces single occupancy vehicle trips
- Water conservation methods are used on course and at Finish Area
- Marketing materials are printed using biodegradable inks on FSC certified paper
- Over 50% of provided food is locally produced, all is purchased locally
- Recycling and composting facilities will be at the Finish Area, with the goal of diverting 90+% of all waste
Help us Run Green by following these tips:
- If you can, leave your car at home – the start line is close to transit. If driving, consider carpooling with some friends.
- Only take what you need — a lot of uneaten food is thrown away at events.
- This applies to the water stations too — only take a cup if you need a drink.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and refill at marked stations.
- Recycle, recycle, and recycle! Clearly labelled recycling stations will be located on the route and in the finish area. They will be supervised by friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Take all your waste and recycling to these stations — don’t litter on the course!
- Don’t forget to recycle all items that you take home from the event. All materials are compostable or recyclable! If you’re unsure simply ask our volunteers before you leave!
Policies & Etiquette
As a BC Athletics sanctioned event, this race will abide by the BC Athletics Codes of Conduct. Please click below to review these policies.
- BC Athletics Spectator Code of Conduct
- BC Athletcs Codes of Conduct (Athletes, Coaches, Officials, Volunteers etc.)
For any questions, please contact the Race Director, Jared Hume at email@example.com.